City’s municipal organization and services begin operation in 1864. One roomed municipal services building located in Ali Hikmet Paşa Square is used during that time. In the light of available documents it is realized that municipality’s first Mayor is Giridlioğlu Ali bey.
Municipality dated to 19th century is established by the Law Nr. 6360 promulgated in official gazette on 12.11.2012 regarding “The Establishment of Fourteen Metropolitan Municipalities and Twentyseven District Municipalities with the change in the Decree Laws” and the law has overlapped Metropolitan Municipality borders with provincial border .